To ensure that every life lost to armed violence is identified correctly, recorded effectively, and recognised appropriately.
Casualty recording is the process of documenting every death in a particular situation of armed conflict or other context of human rights violations. The aim is to identify every victim individually and, where possible, the circumstances of their death.
We believe that:
- Every human being is born free and equal in dignity and rights.
- Human dignity should never be compromised, even in death.
- The way we remember, and respect, our dead is central to our humanity.
- Each and every life lost to armed violence must be recorded.
- Casualty recorders are human rights defenders.